Fortinet FortiGate 500D
Accelerated security for mid-enterprise and branch office
Sorry, this product is no longer available. Please Contact Us for a replacement.
With cyber threats and high profile data breaches continuing to make headlines, organizations large and small understand the importance of increasing security, especially security of their networks. This means moving forward with projects to upgrade from traditional to next generation firewalls, as well as the addition of antimalware and web filters.
5 Times Next Generation Performance
Fortunately, Fortinet’s midrange FortiGate appliances deliver 5 times the next generation performance of alternate products to enable mid size organizations to add new, top-rated security technologies yet still consolidate security devices. Specifically, this breakthrough performance allows most organization to combine stateful firewall with intrusion prevention and application control, plus have room to add Web Filtering and Antimalware all on one device. As a result, you get increased security beyond the traditional stateful firewall and web filter while removing one or more web proxies from your environment. Further, rich dashboards and reporting deliver the visibility and control you expect from a next generation firewall.
Top Rated Protection
Finally, these features of the FortiGate FortiOS Network Security Platform are routinely submitted to independent real-world tests so you can be confident in their effectiveness. You can also see how they stack up against the competition. Fortinet FortiGate NGFW appliances deliver all of this at an affordable price that fits your constrained budgets.
Designed for Today’s network security requirements
- Powered by FortiASICs that delivers unmatched cost performance.
- Runs on FortiOS 5 - the most powerful security operating system in the world delivers more security to fight advanced threats, more control to secure mobile devices, and more intelligence to build secure policies
- Backed by Fortinet’s global FortiCare technical support and FortiGuard threat research teams for around-theclock protection and support
|Key Features & Benefits|
|Industry Validation||Enjoy confidence in the quality of your next generation firewall|
|High Performance Appliances and Integrated Security Architecture||Superior performance, enabling greater device consolidation, easier management and lower cost|
|Central Management and Reporting||Robust management systems that allows rapid provision and deployment, monitoring of device and threat status while providing actionable reports..|
- Console Port (RJ45)
- 2x USB Ports
- 2x GE RJ45 Management Ports
- 4x GE RJ45 Ports
- 8x GE SFP Slots
- FRPS Connector
Powered by SPU
- Custom SPU processors deliver the power you need to detect malicious content at multi-Gigabit speeds
- Other security technologies cannot protect against today’s wide range of content- and connection-based threats because they rely on general-purpose CPUs, causing a dangerous performance gap
- SPU processors provide the performance needed to block emerging threats, meet rigorous third-party certifications, and ensure that your network security solution does not become a network bottleneck
Fortinet’s new, breakthrough SPU NP6 network processor works inline with FortiOS functions delivering:
- Superior firewall performance for IPv4/IPv6, SCTP and multicast traffic with ultra-low latency down to 2 microseconds
- VPN, CAPWAP and IP tunnel acceleration
- Anomaly-based intrusion prevention, checksum offload and packet defragmentation
- Traffic shaping and priority queuing
The SPU CP8 content processor works outside of the direct flow of traffic, providing high-speed cryptography and content inspection services including:
- Signature-based content inspection acceleration
- Encryption and decryption offloading
FortiGate deployed as branch office firewall
Branch Office Firewall
Today’s branch office security gateway is no longer just a basic firewall and site-to-site VPN gateway. With the prevalent adoption of cloud based applications - both public and private, there are more associated requirements for both access availability and security. A security gateway will need robust network and high availability capabilities that include intelligent WAN link forwarding and flexible network deployment options. From the security perspective, a branch office firewall should provide abilities to identify users, locations, devices and applications; thereby control access with finer granularity and visibility. With Fortinet solution for enterprises, branch offices can enjoy significant protection with centralized facilities such as File Analysis using the FortiSandbox and FortiAuthenticator for user access management.
Mid Enterprise Edge Firewall
Fortinet’s Midrange firewalls are perfect for growing mid enterprises with their agile and high performance network security capabilities. The FortiGate 300D and 500D not only deliver protection exceeding expectations, they are suitable for consolidating other security components. This allows organizations to significantly reduce TCOs and simplifies the network. Unlike other NGFWs (Next Generation Firewalls), the FortiGates are powered by FortiASICs which provide security without compromises performance. They run on the World’s most advanced Security operating systems that meet each organizations unique requirements. Advanced features such as integrated endpoint control and token server helps organizations to rapidly deploy enhanced security to their mobile workforce while device based policies aid to implement BYOD securely.
FortiGate deployed as mid enterprise edge firewall
Powerful application control with granular settings
Proven with Industry Validation
3rd party industry certifications, as well as real-world effectiveness and performance tests assure quality and providing you best-of-breed protection.
Ease of Use
FortiOS lowers operational costs and reduces IT staff workload. Single pane of glass management and centralized analysis ensure consistent policy creation and enforcement while minimizing deployment and configuration challenges.
In-depth Visibility & Reporting
Through FortiView, a collection of flexible widget-based views with drill-down capabilities, FortiOS allows administrators to quickly visualize and understand recent network activities and threat situations.
Detailed logs offers deep insights to sessions that passed through the FortiGate while comprehensive reports helps organizations to trend network usage accurately.
Powerful Policy Management
Two types of policy management views - global and section view - are available to suit your preferences. Policy objects can be easily edited, duplicated or moved from the policy table. Robust management features include policy object search, tagging, sorting and filtering.
With FortiManager integration, you have the ability to set up sophisticated policy implementation and provisioning workflows to meet compliance or operational requirements. The FortiManager also offers logging and reporting module that simplified and reduced TCO.
Identity Centric Enforcement
FortiOS supports both local and remote authentication services such as LDAP, Radius and TACACS+ to identify users and apply appropriate access policies and security profiles accordingly. It can simplify identity based implementations and provide a seamless user authorization experience with single sign-on capabilities. FortiOS has strong PKI and certificatebased authentication services while also integrating an internal two factor authentication server for additional security.
To tackle security for today’s prevalent use of personal devices, FortiOS offers state-of the art device identification capabilities that empower organization to set up more intelligent security policies.
Granular Application Control
Advanced application control with ability to control discrete functions lets you define and enforce policies for thousands of applications running across networks regardless of port or the protocol used for communication.
FortiOSControl all the security and networking capabilities across the entire FortiGate platform with one intuitive operating system. Reduce operating expenses and save time with a truly consolidated next generation security platform.
- A truly consolidated platform with one OS for all security and networking services for all FortiGate platforms.
- Industry-leading protection: NSS Labs Recommended, VB100, AV Comparatives and ICSA validated security and performance.
- Control thousands of applications, block the latest exploits, and filter web traffic based on millions of real-time URL ratings.
- Detect, contain and block advanced attacks automatically in minutes with integrated advanced threat protection framework.
- Solve your networking needs with extensive routing, switching, WiFi, LAN and WAN capabilities.
- Activate all the ASIC-boosted capabilities you need on the fastest firewall platform available.
FortiGuard Security Services
FortiGuard Labs offers real-time intelligence on the threat landscape, delivering comprehensive security updates across the full range of Fortinet's solutions. Comprised of security threat researchers, engineers, and forensic specialists, the team collaborates with the world's leading threat monitoring organizations, other network and security vendors, as well as law enforcement agencies:
- Real-time Updates — 24x7x365 Global Operations research security intelligence, distributed via Fortinet Distributed Network to all Fortinet platforms.
- Security Research — FortiGuard Labs have discovered over 170 unique zero-day vulnerabilities to date, totaling millions of automated signature updates monthly
- Validated Security Intelligence — Based on FortiGuard intelligence, Fortinet's network security platform is tested and validated by the world's leading third-party testing labs and customers globally.
FortiCare Support Services
Our FortiCare customer support team provides global technical support for all Fortinet products. With support staff in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia, FortiCare offers services to meet the needs of enterprises of all sizes:
- Enhanced Support — For customers who need support during local business hours only.
- Comprehensive Support — For customers who need around- the-clock mission critical support, including advanced exchange hardware replacement.
- Advanced Services — For global or regional customers who need an assigned Technical Account Manager, enhanced service level agreements, extended software support, priority escalation, on-site visits and more.
- Professional Services — For customers with more complex security implementations that require architecture and design services, implementation and deployment services, operational services and more.
Enterprise BundleFortiGuard Labs delivers a number of security intelligence services to augment the FortiGate firewall platform. You can easily optimize the protection capabilities of your FortiGate with the FortiGuard Enterprise Bundle. This bundle contains the full set of FortiGuard security services plus FortiCare service and support offering the most flexibility and broadest range of protection all in one package.
|FortiGate 500D Specifications|
|GE RJ45 Interfaces||8|
|GE SFP Slots||8|
|GE RJ45 Management Ports||2|
|USB (Client / Server)||1 / 2|
|RJ45 Console Port||1|
|Local Storage||120 GB SSD|
|Included Transceivers||2x SFP (SX 1 GE)|
|System Performance and Capacity|
|IPv4 Firewall Throughput (1518 / 512 / 64 byte, UDP)||16 / 16 / 16 Gbps|
|Firewall Latency (64 byte UDP packets)||3 μs|
|Firewall Throughput (Packets Per Second)||24 Mpps|
|Concurrent Sessions (TCP)||6 Million|
|New Sessions/Second (TCP)||250,000|
|IPsec VPN Throughput (512 byte packets)||14 Gbps|
|Gateway-to-Gateway IPsecVPN Tunnels||2,000|
|Client-to-Gateway IPsecVPN Tunnels||10,000|
|SSL-VPN Throughput||400 Mbps|
|Concurrent SSL-VPN Users(Recommended Maximum)||500|
|IPS Throughput (HTTP / Enterprise Mix) 1||5.7 / 3.5 Gbps|
|SSL Inspection Throughput 2||3 Gbps|
|Application Control Throughput 3||4 Gbps|
|NGFW Throughput 4||2.5 Gbps|
|Threat Protection Throughput 5||2 Gbps|
|CAPWAP Throughput 6||10 Gbps|
|Virtual Domains (Default / Maximum)||10 / 10|
|Maximum Number of FortiAPs (Total / Tunnel Mode)||512 / 256|
|Maximum Number ofFortiTokens||1,000|
|Maximum Number ofRegistered FortiClients||2,000|
|High Availability Configurations||Active/Active, Active/Passive, Clustering|
|Dimensions and Power|
|Height x Width x Length (inches)||1.73 x 17 x 12.68|
|Height x Width x Length (mm)||44 x 432 x 322|
|Weight||10.8 lbs (4.9 kg)|
|Form Factor||1 RU|
|Power Consumption (Average / Maximum)||113 W / 202 W|
|Power Source||100–240V AC, 60–50Hz|
|Current (Maximum)||110V/4A, 220V/2A|
|Heat Dissipation||690 BTU/h|
|Environment and Certifications|
|Operating Temperature||32–104°F (0–40°C)|
|Storage Temperature||-31–158°F (-35–70°C)|
|Operating Altitude||Up to 7,400 ft (2,250 m)|
|Regulatory Compliance||FCC Part 15 Class B, C-Tick, VCCI, CE, UL/cUL, CB|
|Certifications||ICSA Labs: Firewall, IPsec, IPS, Antivirus, SSL-VPN; USGv6/IPv6|
Note: All performance values are "up to" and vary depending on system configuration. IPsec VPN performance is based on 512 byte UDP packets using AES-256+SHA1.
1. IPS performance is measured using 1 Mbyte HTTP and Enterprise Traffic Mix.
2. SSL Inspection is measured with IPS enabled and HTTP traffic, using TLS v1.2 with AES256-SHA.
3. Application Control performance is measured with 64 Kbytes HTTP traffic.
4. NGFW performance is measured with IPS and Application Control enabled, based on Enterprise Traffic Mix.
5. Threat Protection performance is measured with IPS and Application Control and Malware protection enabled, based on Enterprise Traffic Mix.
6. CAPWAP performance is based on 1444 byte UDP packets.
Download the Fortinet FortiGate 500D Datasheet (PDF).
- Hardware plus FortiCare Premium and FortiGuard Enterprise Protection
Hardware Unit, FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, Enterprise Services Bundle (IPS, AI-based Inline Malware Prevention, Advanced Malware Protection, Inline CASB Database, Data Loss Prevention, Application Control, URL, DNS & Video Filtering, Antispam, Attack Surface Security, and FortiConverter Service) plus term of contract
- Hardware plus FortiCare Premium and FortiGuard SMB Protection
Hardware Unit, FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, SMB Services Bundle (IPS, AV, Botnet IP/Domain, Mobile Malware, FortiGate Cloud Sandbox including Virus Outbreak and Content Disarm & Reconstruct, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering , Antispam and FortiGate Cloud subscription service) plus term of contract
- Hardware plus FortiCare Premium and FortiGuard Unified Threat Protection (UTP)
Hardware Unit, FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, UTP Services Bundle (IPS, AV, Botnet IP/Domain, Mobile Malware, FortiGate Cloud Sandbox including Virus Outbreak and Content Disarm & Reconstruct, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering and Antispam Service) plus term of contract
- Enterprise Protection (IPS, Advanced Malware Protection, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering, Antispam, Security Rating, IoT Detection, Industrial Security, FortiConverter Svc, and FortiCare Premium)
FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, Enterprise Services Bundle (IPS, AV, Botnet IP/Domain, Mobile Malware, FortiGate Cloud Sandbox including Virus Outbreak and Content Disarm & Reconstruct, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering, Antispam, Security Rating, Industrial Security and FortiConverter Service)
- SMB Protection (IPS, Advanced Malware Protection, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering, Antispam, plus FortiGate Cloud subscription and FortiCare Premium)
FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, SMB Services Bundle (IPS, AV, Botnet IP/Domain, Mobile Malware, FortiGate Cloud Sandbox including Virus Outbreak and Content Disarm & Reconstruct, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering, Antispam and FortiGate Cloud subscription service)
- Unified Threat Protection (UTP) (IPS, Advanced Malware Protection, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering, Antispam Service, and FortiCare Premium)
FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, UTP Services Bundle (IPS, AV, Botnet IP/Domain, Mobile Malware, FortiGate Cloud Sandbox including Virus Outbreak and Content Disarm & Reconstruct, Application Control, Web & Video Filtering and Antispam Service)
- Advanced Threat Protection (IPS, Advanced Malware Protection Service, Application Control, and FortiCare Premium)
FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, Advanced Threat Protection Bundle (IPS, AV, Botnet IP/Domain, Mobile Malware, FortiGate Cloud Sandbox including Virus Outbreak and Content Disarm & Reconstruct Service, Application Control)
- FortiCare Essential Support
FortiCare Essential Ticket Handling, Hardware Replacement, Firmware and General Upgrades, Application Control
- FortiCare Premium Support
FortiCare Premium Ticket Handling, Advanced Hardware Replacement (NBD), Firmware and General Upgrades, Application Control
- FortiCare Elite Support
FortiCare Premium Support with FortiCare Elite Ticket Handling.
- Prices are for one year of Premium RMA support. Usual discounts can be applied.
- Annual contracts only. No multi-year SKUs are available for these services.
- Contact Fortinet Renewals team for upgrade quotations for existing FortiCare contracts.
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.
Our Price: $385.20